Nestled in the pristine and tranquil Silvermine Valley close to Fish Hoek in Cape Town lies Clovelly Country Club. With one of the finest golf courses in South Africa, Clovelly offers its members and visitors a memorable experience. Clovelly – like fine Cape wines – improves steadily with age, and its vintage and quality is well established throughout South Africa, and indeed, beyond its shores. I want to play this course!
This reputation is founded on the warmth of Clovelly’s ‘family’ character, its outstanding facilities, and steps they have taken, such as opening the Club to all irrespective of race, creed or gender, to ensure that Clovelly truly reflects the high ideal of its motto: “Fraternitas Ludorum”.
Clovelly has always been one of the most popular clubs in the Western Cape and one of the most frequently visited courses. Visitors from as far as Thailand and Ireland frequent their fairways, and tour groups from far flung corners of the world regularly repeat their visits because of the golfing experience to be enjoyed in their pristine valley.
Between the members and valued visitors some 60 000 rounds are played on the golf course each year. One can see why it is necessary to plan and book your rounds in advance. Even though the amount of rounds is high, the course is consistently in good condition. The greens are respected around the world!
The golf course and facilities are consistently rated in the top sixty in the country by a leading panel of raters utilized in the annual South African ‘Compleat Golfer’ survey of golf clubs. Potential course improvements are continuously reviewed, and if agreed to, are undertaken with minimal disruption to the course itself. Clovelly vigorously applies a policy that the nature and characteristics of the course must never be changed; course changes must merely serve to enhance and improve the layout.
For a fact
- Used initially by a group of naval officers stationed at the nearby Simonstown base (who were mainly transitory), and a number of enthusiastic golfers from the area, the Clovelly Golf Links was formed, and was for a start, only a nine hole course;
- In 1937 Clovelly hosted the first ‘Trophy Of Light’ competition for the National Council for the Blind which has subsequently become an annual event. Over the years the tournament has raised many thousands of Rands.
- Driving range: yes
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: yes
- Caddies: yes
- Rental clubs: yes
- Rental pull carts: yes
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Parklands
- Course designer: Brian and Michael Michelle
- Founded/built: 1932
- Rating: 18-hole, par 72
- Course length: 5,890 meters (club/men) / 5,537 meters (seniors) / 5,165 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): Mix of Poa Annua and Bent Grass (greens) / Kikuyu (fairways) / Kikuyu (rough)
Gentlemen (Golf Course):
- Recognised golf or running shoes. Must be flat soled and soft spiked;
- Tailored, conventional trousers (zip and button);
- Tailored shorts;
- Long socks or short golf socks. Socks should be above ankle height;
- Recognised golf shirt long or short with collar. Polar neck or high round collar golf shirts are also permitted.
- Slops or sandals;
- Sleeveless shirts, vests or t-shirts;
- No denim jeans, shorts with draw string or elastic waist, running shorts.
Ladies (Golf Course):
- Recognised golf shoes;
- Tailored skirt, golf shorts or trousers;
- Recognised golf shirt or shirt with a high round neckline.
- Denim jeans, running shorts, vests or slops.
General Clubhouse and Surrounds (Bar):
- Smart casual;
- Jeans are permitted BUT must not have holes in them;
- Shoes, preferrably closed, to be worn.
View Cape Town – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
From Cape Town (central): – Head south on the M3 towards Muizenberg; – Continue on the M3 through the Southern Suburbs and Wynberg until you get the the t-junction; – Turn left onto Steenberg Road / M42; – Follow this road for approximately 850m, then turn right onto the Main Road towards Muizenberg; – Follow the road along the coast for about 7.9km, then turn right into Clovelly Road. – Driving time Cape Town (Waterfront) – Clovelly Country Club: ~45min. / 35km