Set in the heart of the tranquil Constantia Winelands and surrounded by the Silvermine mountain range lies Steenberg Golf Club. Situated on the Steenberg Golf Estate, this 18-hole Peter Matkovich championship course is consistently regarded as one of the finest golf courses in Cape Town and South Africa.
I want to play this course!
The golf course boasts a state of the art clubhouse with all the necessary facilities and superb service that have elevated the whole package to a world class experience. The course (and adjacent Steenberg Hotel) recently got voted as the Best Golf Resort in the World Outside of the USA by Conde Naste Traveller and 2nd Best in the World overall. The practice facilities include a 350m double-sided driving range, four practice greens and a practice pitching area. The on-course PGA teaching professionals have at their disposal a world class video analysis room and also the only club adjustment centre in the southern suburbs of Cape Town.
A fully stocked pro shop with friendly staff caters for all your golfing mementos and accessories, while the 19th hole has one of the best views in the country overlooking the 18th green and dam with the Table Mountain range as the backdrop.
The signature hole is the Par 3 seventh. The green is an island surrounded by water and a large bunker. Fortunately the prevailing wind makes the club selection a little easier and, when the player’s ball lands safely on the green, one can often hear a sigh of relief as many people have succumbed to this great hole. No matter how you play the hole, you will definitely remember our seventh.
Steenberg Golf Club is a private club, but guests are most welcome. A day at Steenberg beats most days anywhere and the club is a ‘must play’ when you visit Cape Town.
For a fact
- Peter Matkovich (course designer): I love Steenberg. I can play the course everyday, surely that is the hallmark of a great golf course!
- Driving range: yes
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: yes
- Caddies: yes
- Rental clubs: yes
- Rental pull carts: yes
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Parklands
- Course designer: Peter Matkovich
- Founded/built: 1996
- Rating: 18-hole, par 72
- Course length: 5,875 meters (club/men) / 5,460 meters (seniors) / 5,080 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): Poa Annua (greens) / Kikuyu (fairways) / Kikuyu (rough)
- Appropriate golf attire allowed on the golf course and around the clubhouse;
- No ¾ pants at all;
- Soft spikes only.
View Cape Town – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
From Cape Town (Waterfront):
- Take the M3 towards Muizenberg;
- Take the Tokai off-ramp (Exit No. 21), and turn right into Tokai Road;
- Turn left into Steenberg Road at the traffic circle, and go straight at the next traffic circle;
- Then take the first right turn-off and enter via security at Steenberg’s South Gate.
- Driving time Cape Town (Waterfront) – Steenberg Golf Club: ~30min. / 25km