Fynbos Golf Course offers you the perfect destination, whether you’re looking for golf, a stunning venue for conferences or weddings, or simply a break-away weekend. As Gary Player put it: ‘(Fynbos) is the best kept secret in South Africa.’I want to play this course!
Obviously inspired by the grandeur of the surrounding nature, this 9-hole golf course is a hidden gem, made for those willing to go off the beaten track and looking for a refreshing way of golf. With only 9 holes one could expect a fairly monotonous layout, yet well-known course designer Mark Muller, together with John Bland and Mark Wiltshire used the original farmland to its utmost. The first four holes clearly still breath their previous destination as dairy farmland, not in the least because of the neighboring kettle ‘moo-ing’ every great and not-so-great shot. Furthermore the 3rd/12th par 4 features an authentic cow bell to let the 4-ball behind you know the fairway is clear for their tee-shot.
The course literally revolves around the magnificent clubhouse, and once on the Indian Ocean side of the clubhouse the scenery becomes quite dramatic with high cliffs overlooking the ‘happy few’ who have their holiday or permanent homes here overlooking the continuously rolling waves of the Indian Ocean. On this side the farmland has given way to the original fynbos, which especially when blooming offers some spectacular background. The 8th/17th is probably the most daunting yet also most interesting par 3 on the course, needing a pretty secure tee-shot to miss the ‘donga’ covered in fynbos and grass-bunker in front of the hole as well as the strategically placed bunkers behind the hole. A scenic pathway leads through the fynbos and onto the green.
The clubhouse itself is of the highest standard. The natural stone, thatched roof and interior colors reflecting the surrounding fynbos make the clubhouse blend in naturally with its surroundings. The well-designed interior, including a secluded patio sheltered from the omnipresent sea breeze; make this a sought-after venue for weddings (including in-house chapel!) as well as (corporate) golf events. The clubhouse further features six superbly finished suites, making this an ideal place to spend a couple days, get back to nature and play some interesting golf!
P.S. Don’t be discouraged by the 8km dirtroad once you’re off the N2, it is well worth the effort!
- Driving range: no
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: yes
- Caddies: no
- Rental clubs: yes/no
- Rental pull carts: yes
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Country links
- Course designer: Mark Muller (with John Bland and Mark Wiltshire)
- Opened: 1987 (Dirk Fourie Country Club)
- Rating: 9-hole (18 tee boxes), par 70
- Course length: 5,566 meters (club/men) / 4,932 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): paspalum (greens) / kikuyu (fairways) / natural grasses and fynbos (rough)
- Normal golf attire;
- Soft spikes only.
View Garden Route – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
- Drive through Knysna town center to Plettenberg Bay;
- Follow the N2 towards Humansdorp / Port Elizabeth, pay your toll at the Tsitsikamma Plaza Tollgate and carry on on the N2;
- About 30min. past the toll gate take the off-ramp to Eerste Rivier. At the t-junction turn left and immediately right again. Follow the dirtroad for approximately 8 km and you’ll find the Fynbos entrance on your right.
- Driving time Knysna – Fynbos: ~1hr30min.
- Get onto the N2 towards Plettenberg Bay / Knysna;
- Follow the N2 until you get to the Eerste Rivier turn-off. Take the turn-off and at the top of the ramp turn left;
- At the t-junction turn left and immediately right again. Follow the dirtroad for approximately 8 km and you’ll find the Fynbos entrance on your right.
- Driving time Port Elizabeth – Fynbos: ~1hr30min.
Less than 5km. from the course:
6 to 10km. from the course:
11 to 25km. from the course:
26 to 50km. from the course:
51+km. from the course: