The Knysna Golf Course, one of the few if not the only golf course built below sea level, may look an easy course, as it is flat and offers wide fairways. However, the many (tidal) water ways and strategically placed bunkers make it a course which is easy enough to walk, yet offers a mental challenge to any level golfer. The recently rebuilt clubhouse offers facilities which can match those of any private estate course along the Southern Cape coast.I want to play this course!
Nestled on the shores of the Knysna Lagoon and close to the looming Knysna Heads, the Knysna Golf Club’s 18-hole course meanders through tidal pools and between magnificent indigenous trees. An interesting parkland layout which has been enhanced over the past ten years and it has some of the best bent grass greens in the Southern Cape. Although flat and easy to walk, the course still provides players of all levels with a good challenge and is an affordable golfing experience not to be missed while touring the area.
The Clubhouse has a warm and inviting atmosphere and visitors are welcome to come and play a round of golf and enjoy the hospitality of the friendly staff and members.Over the years, new tidal pools and channels have been introduced and real attention paid to the bunkering throughout the layout. That this has been successfully implemented can be seen from the clubhouse, for the eighteenth hole now has a superb grass surface covering a large undulating area. Together with an attractive and potentially hazardous water feature as a backdrop, shapely and well manicured bunkers protecting the green add to what is now a substantial finishing challenge.
The Knysna Golf Course nevertheless remains an enjoyable and gentle stroll through tree-lined fairways and you will not experience the fatigue you might on the more testing courses in the region. The surrounding hills and mountains provide scenic backdrops and there is a great variety of trees, flowers and bird-life to watch out for. The newly rebuilt clubhouse has a pleasant halfway house with a welcoming bar and deck of substantial proportions. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxing, so enjoy!
- Driving range: no
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: no
- Caddies: yes
- Rental clubs: yes
- Rental pull carts: yes
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Parklands
- Course designer: -
- Founded/built: 1909
- Rating: 18-hole, par 72 (rating: 70)
- Course length: 5,799 meters (club/men) / 5,031 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): bent (greens) / kikuyu (fairways) / natural grasses, shrubs and trees (rough)
- Members, visitors and guests are requested to adhere to the club’s dress code;
- Men may wear long or short socks with golf shorts;
- No rugby or bermuda shorts, jeans or collarless shirts are permitted to be worn on the golf course;
- Collared shirts and shoes with socks must be worn in the clubhouse.
View Garden Route – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
From the George / Cape Town direction:
- Drive through Knysna town center towards Plettenberg Bay;
- At the traffic lights past the Caltex Garage (on your right) turn right onto George Rex Drive towards the Knysna Heads;
- Turn left into Howard Street and follow the signs to the golf course.
From the Plettenberg Bay / Port Elizabeth direction:
- Before you get into Knysna turn left onto George Rex Drive – towards the Knysna Heads;
- see above…