If you are looking for an exceptional golf course, an unsurpassed golf experience, and a course which rates amongst the most scenic – not just in the Garden Route, but in the world! – then you have found what you’re looking for! Perched high on top of the famous Knysna Heads, the sweeping fairways offer spectacular views over both the Knysna Lagoon and town as well as the Indian Ocean.I want to play this course!
The Pezula Championship Golf Course is more than just that, it is an experience, one you will not easily forget. From the moment you get met by one of the golf stewards outside the clubhouse, to your name on the (compulsory) golf cart and the hot towel at the half-way house, this place is magical!It seems unfair to make the 1st hole on the course the toughest one, but once you’ve completed this par 5, you can just relax and actually enjoy the views. And views there are! It is not without reason that ‘Pezula’ loosely translates to ‘up there with the Gods’, as the spectacular views over the Knysna Lagoon, Knysna town itself and the Outeniqua Mountains in the background compete with the views over the dramatic coastline and the Indian Ocean on the 2nd nine.
The course itself offers some spectacular holes, immaculate fairways and fast greens. You may consider taking a few extra balls, as the rough as well as several ditches overgrown with natural fynbos are ideal places to loose a few…!
The prestigious natural rehabilitation plan has won the whole Pezula development several awards, not only in South Africa, but worldwide. The natural fynbos has beautifully recovered and offers a spectacular array of grasses, ericas and proteas, attracting an equally spectacular variety of birdlife and the occasional bush buck.The well-stocked bar cum restaurant is a very pleasant environment for a drink afterwards or just to sit and relax while overlooking the 18th hole.
All in all, if you are serious about playing golf in Africa, make sure this course makes it to your shortlist of courses to play!
For a fact
- Within a few months after opening in 2001 the course was awarded ‘Best New Golf Course in South Africa’;
- Furthermore the course has been awarded ’5-star Golf Experience’ by Golf Digest yearly since 2005.
- Driving range: no
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: yes
- Caddies: no
- Rental clubs: yes
- Rental pull carts: no
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes (compulsory)
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Clifftop links
- Course designer: David Dale and Ronald Fream of Golf (Plan USA)
- Founded/built: 2001
- Rating: 18-hole, par 70 (rating: 71)
- Course length: 5,963 meters (club/men) / 5,630 meters (seniors) / 5,195 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): bent grass (greens) / kentucky blue and rye (fairways) / natural grasses and lots of coastal fynbos (rough)
- Golf Shirts
- Slacks, golf shorts or walking shorts
- Short socks are acceptable
- Beachwear and Denim Jeans are not acceptable on the course
- Dresses, skirts, slacks, golf shorts, mid-length shorts and blouses
- Appropriate golf footwear is compulsory on both golf course and practice areas
- Soft Spikes only
- Golf attire and casual/smart street wear is expected
- Golf shoes are allowed everywhere in the main clubhouse
- No caps are to be worn in the clubhouse
View Garden Route – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
- Drive through Knysna town center towards Plettenberg Bay;
- Get onto the N2 towards Plettenberg Bay / Knysna;
- As the N2 descends into Knysna turn left onto George Rex Drive (towards The Heads);