The Zebula Golf Course, designed by legendary Peter Matkovich, is situated in a game reserve, offeringing the rare opportunity to encounter game like giraffe, zebra and various species of buck while enjoying a round of golf. The course itself is relatively flat, which makes it an absolute pleasure to walk.I want to play this course!
Zebula Golf Course is a classic Bushveld par 72 course, set in the open plains of the reserve with herds of game roaming freely. The course is relatively flat yet undulating, inviting to play with generous fairways and clusters of trees that act as hazards. Voted the Golf Digest’s Best New Golf Course 2004 and awarded the 5 star Golf Experience for 2010 by Compleat Golfer, Zebula has matured wonderfully over the past few years into a truly great course to play.
Zebula was designed by the legendary Peter Matkovich, a golf professional for 25 years, and a world-respected golf course designer for more than 15 years. When it comes to golf course design, first and foremost Peter is an environmentalist – seamlessly blending nature and design to create golf courses that are inherently sensitive to local environments. In fact, love for the indigenous remains a cornerstone of his designs; to him, golf should offer a retreat, an escape, from one’s busy life.
The layout, built to USGA specifications with kikuyu fairways and bent grass greens is so much part of the bushveld experience that one wouldn’t be surprised to encounter a lofty giraffe or a shy zebra or two during your golfing experience. The wonderful year-round climate and the judicious use of naturally occurring water practically guarantees the course will be green year round.
Complemented as it is by an excellent Clubhouse with a location that defies description, a well-stocked Pro Shop and superb practice facilities, Zebula is a joy to play. You are destined to keep coming back again and again to experience it.
As we like to say: if you have Africa in your blood and you love the game of golf, life just doesn’t get better than this!
For a fact
- Immediately after opening in 2004 Zebula won the Best New Golf Course award
- Driving range: yes
- Practice green: yes
- Putting and chipping area: yes
- Locker rooms: yes
- Halfway house: yes
- Bar/lounge: yes
- Restaurant: yes
- Caddies: no
- Rental clubs: yes
- Rental pull carts: yes
- Rental electric carts/buggies: yes
- Golf lessons: yes
- Course type: Resort / Bush
- Course designer: Peter Matkovich
- Founded/built: 2004
- Rating: 18-hole, par 72
- Course length: 6,445 meters (club/men) / 6,023 meters (seniors) / 5,454 meters (ladies)
- Grass type(s): A1A4 Bent Grass (greens) / Kikuyu (fairways) / Kikuyu mixed with wild grasses (rough)
- Strictly collared shirts only;
- Tailored trousers or shorts (ladies: shorts and skorts also allowed);
- No jeans;
- Golf shoes with soft spikes or sport type trainers;
- Socks need to be worn at all times.
View Sun City & Gauteng – Platinum Golf, Tours & Accommodation – South Africa in a larger map
Please note – at NO stage of your journey should you be driving on a gravel road (apart from the Zebula Maingate towards the Clubhouse). Should your GPS direct you on a gravel / dirt road, follow the directions below.
From Johannesburg / Pretoria direction:
- From Johannesburg / Pretoria, take the N1 to Polokwane (Pietersburg);
- Take the R516 to Warmbaths / Bela Bela (Exit 238);
- Turn left towards Bela Bela (Warmbaths);
- Go straight for +/- 10km;
- At the t-junction (with the Waterfront in front of you), turn right;
- Go over the bridge, first robot/traffic light left;
- Follow the road around a sharp right-bend;
- Go straight across the first stop, turning left at the second stop (Spar accross from Stop);
- Go past the Aventura Resort on your left;
- At the roundabout (circle), turn left towards Thabazimbi;
- Drive +/- 35km, passing Mabalingwe Game Reserve on the right;
- Turn right on the tarred road towards Rooiberg (non-settled African Market on one corner);
- Drive +/- 4km and turn right at the Mabula Sign;
- Drive +/- 5km down the tarred road. You will pass Adventures with Elephants on your left hand side;
- Zebula Golf Estate & Spa will be on your right hand side;
- Follow the signs to the Clubhouse.
- Driving time OR Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg) – Zebula Golf Estate: ~1h45min. / ~150 km
Less than 5km. from the course:
6 to 10km. from the course:
11 to 25km. from the course:
26 to 50km. from the course: